Friday, August 04, 2006

Trudging Along

That pretty much describes how this week has gone. One thing after another has gone awry. I really hate weeks like this. Feels like a little man with a pitchfork is following me around (or heading me off at the pass, as the case may be). Basically, it really stinks.

Anywho.... as for our updates:
1. No home for the little kitty, Merci, yet. Three "for sures" have all fallen through. No rush I guess....
2. Baird's van failed inspection. Yahoo.
3. Since the 3 hour power outage the other night, our freezer is not functioning correctly. It is about as cold as the fridge... .but no colder. This is the decent, large fridge unit that came with the house which we were planning to sell once we install our newer, thinner, Kitchen Aid. Jeeeez Louise....well....I shake my head....and...toss out the food I just bought. Whatever!
4. Speaking of the power outage....later that night a fire erupted in the street. It was discovered that the arching power line had damaged an undergorund gas line causing 2 leaks and thus the fire at one leak site. Two houses, less than 2 blocks from us, were evacuated. No one was hurt...but... the gas co. and fire dept were there until 2AM. Sweet dreams dear.........
5. The plumber finally got me the figures on the work we still need done. He wants $2300 to hook up our gas stove and re-locate the washer and drier. Yeah, right!! I laugh somewhat hyterically as I bang my head against the wall. This is a small house-- we are talking extending the gas and water lines a few feet, not some great distances. I am looking for some more realistic options and popping some more Tylenol. Darn, my head aches for some reason.
6. Aaron's been coming and working on the basement area...opening up the room with the bay window and sealing the cement floor, etc. It's beginning to look better each day. This is one unmitigated positive thing on my list. Yipee!
7. The Shutebury house will be shown Monday afternoon again. Baird and I have been exploring options of how to better market it and what to do if it doesn't sell very, very soon. No great revelation has come through all our explorations so far but, as we keep turing over stones we try to stay hopeful that something will become clear to us. I told a friend today that we just need to win a small lottery, but since we don't buy tickets this will take a real miracle.
8. Today the weather finally broke and it was "only" in the mid 80's with lower humidity this afternon. Now that is really good news.
9. I applied for a school based job this week that I think I would really find challenging and rewarding. Something I could become personally invested in. I have not heard anything back yet. Maybe I won't. In some ways I am an unlikely candidate... not a racial minority, not bi-lingual, etc but it fits with my life purposes. Well, at any rate, somehow finding out about it and applying gave me some renewed energy in this tough week. That alone is worth something.

Stay tuned.... it can only get better.... right???

No comments: