Sunday, October 28, 2007

George's Baptism


Today was little George's baptism. We are honored to be his Godparents. Trying to decide on a gift for such a momentous occasion is not easy. The idea of a vessel came to me, along with a vague idea of a Scripture verse. I began a hunt and at the first shop, right near my house, found an amazing, aged, 20" diameter, hand carved, well used, wooden bowl. I loved it but was not immediately convinced that this was "it." B. and I shopped around near and far and the more we shopped the clearer it became that the first vessel had indeed been "the one." The next day I returned to the little shop near my house and brought home the giant old bowl. It felt totally right. Last night I poured out some verse and today the large vessel was accompanied by this poem, read by his mom to the gathered friends and family.


Your Vessel

I am a humble vessel
aged and well used,
here from a distant land,
by the name of India.
I was of service to a man
for rice and such necessities.
Journeyed now to Amherst
George’s vessel I shall be.
Sticky grain may not fill me up,
a vessel of toys I may be or
some other precious commodity.
Though one day perhaps
you may knead bread with me
or toss within my handsome walls
some garden greens so sweet.
However I might serve you,
it need not trouble me
I only ask to journey on
and your useful vessel be.

2 Timothy 2:21
Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from evil things, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work.

No comments: