Thursday, April 19, 2007

From Mom to Kid Koala

Today I went over to the Berkshires to visit my mom as she had cataract surgery this AM. It seems to have gone very well.



Afterwards, I met Baird & Jess in NoHo to hear Kid Koala. I only knew a little bit of his DJ work but man, I was amazed by the live performance. He is really incredible. The most effective piece for me, because I knew the music so well, was when he used 3 turntables and 3 separate copies of the 33 rpm album version of Moon River. He had different things going on with all three turntables could switch between them and use his mixer to vary them and mix between them. He could also use his amazing fast fingers to go from one album to another without missing a beat or a word of the lyrics. Hard to explain but trust me, it was astounding. He said he did it for his mom, "so she could better understand what he does. Now she thinks I am weird and that it is 'just a phase'." He was joking. I bet she thinks it is amazing, too. It was also cool that he was there with his wife, who was taking photos. This is their "honeymoon tour." She is a set designer and after this tour he said they are going to do a graphic novel and video (3D, poor man's claymation style) about a mosquito who goes to the city to be a clarinet player. He played some of his mosquito clarinet music for us :-) For real! You heard it hear!

Other trivia: Baird got his signature on a BeDe card. His real name is Eric. He was born in Vancouver but lives in Montreal. He was quite interested in B's Electronica student's rotary phone project.

We missed Shnitzle who was home sick... BooHoo!
Get better soon!

( pic above from- http://www.discorder.ca/oldsite/features/03octkidkoala.html)

No comments: