Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Shameful Military Discharges

I'm mad.......

I don't have time to make a link right now but check out this article in The Nation (link below) about wounded soldiers being given a 5-13 discharge status:"Previous Personality Disorder." Why is this happening? Because if they get discharged in this way, they receive NO BENEFITS! So they are being sent home, seriously disabled with no help. Somehow, it was supposedly a "pre-exisiting" mental issue that got them wounded??? Yup, you got it. The story is about a Sergeant serving in Iraq, decorated 7 times and then hit by a rocket. After initial medical treatment he was discharged (and demoted!) under the 5-13 status. Now he is left high and dry. He did NOT have a previous psychiatric condition at all. I heard about this from a local colleague who has a woman client whose son had this happen to him too. It is not an isolated incident..... as the article explains.

SHAMEFUL !!

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20070409/kors

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carole, could you please stop over at my blog and send me an email with your address for the charm swap. My email address is on my profile.
Thanks,
Mary

I'm still reading that article...

Rosie Perera said...

Thanks for the heads up. This is appalling!