Sunday, August 28, 2005

Hannah's at Nyack Now!




Niece Hannah Schmidt flew into town from Tokyo last Monday eve. After 3 days of visiting and shopping, I took her to Nyack College on Friday, Aug 26, 2005. The drive to Nyack was quite pleasant... almost 3.5 hours. I left the college at 2:15pm, after settling her in and getting her books, ID etc. But...once I crossed over into CT I was in a 45 mile back-up! No kidding , it took over 2 hours to get the 45 miles from the NY/CT border to New Haven. I tried 2 different routes too..both were bumper to bumper 10-20-25 mph. Summer's last gasp...people headed to the CT coast I guess. I've never been in such a long back up. Oh well, thank goodness for air-conditioning and a good stereo.. I even had 3 cookies from the Nayck cafeteria. Soda would have been nice...but then..there was little opportunity for any rest stops, so just as well that I forgot to pack my cooler.

At Nyack, a number of upperclassmen were on hand to welcome and move in the new students. My fully loaded car was unpacked and all her stuff was up on the 4th floor (with no elevators) in less than 15 minutes. It was unbelievable. Everyone was very friendly. It was great to see, since this is all new to her and she is so far away from "home." Her room is a corner room, with 2 views of the Hudson. One view is posted here. The other view is of the orange bluffs along the river north of town. Wonderful!

The final photo here is of Hannah and her new friend and room mate, Maritza. She lives about an hour away in NJ and her family is Mexican.

No comments: