Saturday, October 08, 2005

Thinking of Writing and Looking Back

Today, due to the rain, I decided to do indoor work which this time meant cleaning our bedroom: sorting through stuff, cleaning stuff out, washing curtains, and getting out the winter down comforter and flannel sheets. One shelf had a few older journals of mine. Since I am thinking more about writing for publication these days I decided to take a glimpse at the oldest one there...from February 1985. The first entry had a lot to do with baby Jessica, who was then just over 3 months old. Since her 21 birthday is in a few days, I thought I would blog some of my old journal entry from Febraury 4, 1985 which I had entitled "Interruptions."

"Interruptions'' That's my life these days. I got this piece of paper out to write on over an hour ago. Just as I looked for a pen, Jessica woke up from her nap. She has had a fever yesterday and today. I got her up and changed her. As I washed my hands I noticed how dirty the sink was so I washed it, which then led to cleaning the toilet and tub. In doign so, I noticed the shower curtain was slimy on the bottom so I took it down and put it in the washer. By then Jesscia was tired of sitting in her baby seat watching me clean so I took her down stairs. As I started to put her into her swing so I could write, she began whimpering and I realized she was hungry. So, now, having fed her and put her down for another little nap, I found a pen and sat to write. Then, I was not sure what the date it is today so I had to get back up, go into the kitchen and check the calendar. Now that I finally sit to write I am not sure I can recall what promted me to decide to finally begin this journal today. Pretty soon Jess needs to be awakened as I will be taking her to the doctors..and the wash will be done. Yes, this is how my life goes, especially since the arrival of Jess. Most of the time I just flow from one task to another and then, the day is over and it is time to start supper.

Well, after that intro, Jess slept a while I suppose, or I wrote fast, because I had time to write 2 pages before rushing off to the doctor's. Jess had a bit of the flu as it turned out. Most of the entry was about how I was trying to decide what I wanted to do about the career track verses being more available to my children. Guess the answer to that, 21 years later, is now obvious. :-) I never did go back to any regular agency work where I could work up the career ladder, etc. No regrets tho.

2 comments:

greenezo said...

poor little jet with the flu! long interuption to writing eh?

Jess said...

That's cool to find. Thanks for sharing it!
Love, jet