Wednesday, January 04, 2006

OMG!!



I got a call this AM that the excavators and well guy were coming today to tie in the pump. I got things ready and ran off to work. A couple hours later, I got a call on my cell that they would not be able to use the existing water line as planned. It wasn't really clear what all he was talking about. I was supposed to be at work all day, but, I had a cancellation adjacent to lunch time so I came home for an hour or so to see what was up. Boy was I surprised!! They had discovered the old water line was not up to snuff and so they had begun digging a 5' deep trench from the well to the addition coming thru the foundation there (under my kitchen oven). The trench goes from the old chicken coop, up in front of the old goat shed and behind the wood shed, over the hillside and across my kitchen patio. AAAhhhhhhh..... What a mess! And.... this also means they moved stuff in Baird's workbench area in the cellar... which was a mess even before they came. I can't even imagine what that looks like now. I have not gone down there yet b/c they are drilling a hole in the foundation right now. Eek! Guess we'll have plenty of Spring landscaping work to do...and Baird will have an unexpected reason to clean up his cellar work space.

4 comments:

greenezo said...

HOLY SHNITZLE!

Jess said...

Oh mom, that sucks. Did they hurt the hostas?? Why would they start that without telling you??

Carol Soules said...

Well.... there was no choice... but Buzzy did call me at 10:00 AM when I was on my way into work and buying lunch at Trader Joe's. He told me (1) we have to run a new water line and (2) we have to bring it into the new addition b/c we cannot dig a 5' deep trench under the porch.

Yeah, I think I lost a few of the new hostas ( boo hoo) and one of my huge ones by the patio and 1 or 2 of those nice day lilies. Also 4 new rhododendron on the side of the wood shed ( $8 each at Walmart.. no biggie). I guess if I am speding thousands on this deal I can replace those come spring.

The good news is that things are really nicely graded when I got home tonight. The whole hill from the wood shed down where the camper used to be is nicely graded. Several huge rocks are dotted around the area now. Good with the bad.

The hill by the woodshed is nicely graded now... good place for a water fall if we are here this summer :-)

Carol Soules said...

So...I had a bit of warning but I didn't really get what he was talking about until I pulled into the driveway at 11AM!

I was really shocked! The trench was about 6' deep on the hill plus 3-5' banks of dirt. It was huge. I am glad I saw it with my own eyes tho b/c it looks so much tamer now that they fixed it all up.