Thursday, December 14, 2006

Are These People Mentally Ill or What?


I am really disturbed. Nelley just raised my awareness of a new video game for the season..a "Christian" game where the bad guys are the Anti-Christ and non-believers, who are targets of "conversion" by the good guys -- the "Christians." It is called "Eternal Forces" and is inspired by the wonderfully theologically sound (ha!) book series Left Behind through "Left Behind Games", which is owned by Tyndale House Publishing. This btw is considered a family friendly game by Focus on the Family's Plugged In which raised some concerns but they concluded:

........ Eternal Forces is the kind of game that Mom and Dad can actually play with Junior—and use to raise some interesting questions along the way. Production company Left Behind Games is pushing it as an evangelism tool for teens, and I can see that, too. You certainly don't have to be an eschatologically minded seminarian to appreciate it.

Seminarians???? I would say most seminarians would be (or should be) appalled!

And oh yeah.... the Antichrist is a Romanian named Nicolae Carpathia, secretary-general of the United Nations and a People magazine "Sexiest Man Alive." And GET THIS BIGOTRY...... those with Muslims names cannot be on the good side ??!!

"Players can choose to join the Antichrist's team, but of course they can never win on Carpathia's side. The enemy team includes fictional rock stars and folks with Muslim-sounding names, while the righteous include gospel singers, missionaries, healers and medics. Every character comes with a life story.

When asked about the Arab and Muslim-sounding names, Frichner said the game does not endorse prejudice. But "Muslims are not believers in Jesus Christ" -- and thus can't be on Christ's side in the game.
"That is so obvious," he said."

WHAT ????????????????

If my description hasn't been enough to freak you out, you can see the complete article by the SF Chronicle

or find a more "balanced" perspective in the lovely review by FOF's "Plugged In."

Or if you are really ready for high blood pressure you can go directly to the horse's mouth at Left Behind Games. While you are there, leave them some constructive feedback by clicking on their Contact Us link... I did.

... if that's not enough for you, then you can rush out and buy it at many Walmarts.... what a surprise.

Personally, I think the game designers likely qualify for a mental illness diagnosis. I think I'll go now and read my DSM IV to see which ones apply.

and oh....I almost forgot...... May the Peace of the season fill your hearts.

4 comments:

Chris TerryNelson said...

I sent the company an email telling how pissed off I was about this. Thanks for the post. See you in the near future (unless you're raptured before I am, wink wink).

greenezo said...

that is one of the more absurd things I've seen lately. i'm really quite blown away.

greenezo said...

oh and great, "freedom fighters". wow, just the message to send, we're in a cosmic struggle and to be on christ's side we must be 'freedom fighters'. is this really coming from the same people who consider muslim freedom fighters to be instead TERRORISTS? give me a f-ing break. this is more than a joke, this is downright diabolical and cosmically ironic. way to go guys, hope you enjoy your fat paycheck, while you're at it you should send your 10% to Ted Haggard. I think he needs it right about now.

Carol Soules said...

Yeah...it really is disturbingly sick. I am troubled by it every time I think about it. Send (semi-repsectful?) comments to the company! The link is in the blog entry...at the Left Behind Games site.