Sunday, November 06, 2005

Worship of Religion?

How willing am I to allow God to show me anything new? Do I think I have my Beliefs all sewed up? Am, I threatened by or defensive/ resistant to anything different from what I know and already understand? From what I feel safe with? If I am secure in my faith yet want to always understand more of the truth (after all I will never know it all in this life), then I should be willing to walk into the mystery, the unknown, the different and not be fearful and rejecting, right? Fearfulness and defensiveness spring from our uncertainty, I think. If I am too rigid in what I understand to be the truth then how am I any different that the Jews in 30AD who thought they had truth all sewed up...and then.... missed the Messiah. What pieces of God's truth am I missing?

I was reading an OOZE article today and this part caught my eye. A teacher is speaking to his followers about worshipping the Book rather than the Author of that Book and being too set in our limited interpetations:

“The harshness of the truth I speak to you; even now they worship the Book. They worship the words that speak of the Creator, as though such words were equal to the very essence of the Creator. Herein lies their sacred idolatry: they worship their faith, not the Creator who gave them faith. They place their faith in words and pages, not in the Creator who inspired the writing. They ascribe absolute truth onto mere words, and then settle for the truth they render from these words.

“Forgetting their ancestors who sought the Creator, they interpret the Book to explain the Creator. Forgetting their ancestors who knew the Creator before there was a Book, they claim the only way to know the Creator is through their rendition of the Book. They assert that knowledge of the Book is a prerequisite for communion with the Creator, yet it was communion which first brought the Book to life. They proclaim that the Book must be understood for faith to take root, yet faith is what gave root to the Book. The Book tells the stories of men, women and children who knew the Creator before the Book, and yet they claim the only way to know the Creator is through the Book.

“May it dawn upon this generation that the communion they seek with the Creator transcends even the scope of the Book. May they embrace and value the book above all others, yet not derive and measure the soul of their faith by their limited interpretations.”

complete article at:
http://www.theooze.com/articles/article.cfm?id=1053

1 comment:

greenezo said...

thats quite a quote, man, really getting me thinking.