Sunday, October 15, 2006

Big Week

It's been a busy week here at Sweetside. Significant progress is being made on Aaron's space and the tool room in our basement. Aaron, with the help of Ben, Julian, Steve & Sam has made some good headway.


With some help from Baird I have begun to get our tool room set up. We rebuilt the work table and work bench (both of which had been dismantled in Shutesbury and brought here). I also painted the floor bright yellow, just like it was in Shutesbury.





This past week we also cut down a dead tree of some sort in the Sweetside garden and I planted several shrubs. Gotta love the end of the season close out time at the local nurseries, like the Hadley Garden Center.














Then, Friday was Jess's 22 BD; they came here for desert after having dinner in NoHo.




Today we put away yard decorations and such and then I planted some daffodils. Afterwards Baird and I were installing storm windows when the huge red tail hawk paid us another visit. This time he (she?) flew across our driveway onto the lowest branch of a large maple tree, only a few feet from our front window where Baird was working.

I was on the inside of our window installation job, so I grabbed my camera and joined him outside. The hawk flitted between our 3 large trees out front, stalking 2 squirrels. See it hiding in the leaves on the left side of the tree in the picture? It just patiently hopped from branch to branch until one of the squirrels finally made a run for it. The hawk then swooped down and snagged it. It sat perched on top of it until it was sure it was dead and then flew off carrying it in it's talons, into the wooded area across the street. This whole time both of us were right there, only about 20' away, and I was snapping pictures. It kept looking at me, somewhat curiously, perhaps a bit menacingly, but it was not going to let me deter it from having it's mid afternoon meal.

I never let my cats outside but after this, I certainly never will!

No comments: