Monday, October 02, 2006

Fire Setting in My Dean's Book Classes

In the DBC this Fall we are reading the memoir of a young man who was in a prison camp on North Korea for 10 years (ages 9-19) because his grandfather was deemed to have been against the government. It has been a bit difficult to get any greta discussions going because the students all agree the camp was horrible and that No Korea having such camps is appalling etc. Also, They have little knowledge of Korean history or much other "gap" history (post WWII for example) that it is difficult to have enough context to have a conversation of any depth.

So, I have decided. This week I am bringing in a couple of articles about Congress's recently passed Military Commission Act. This sanctions on torture of anyone deemed an enemy combatant (even US citizens on US soil can be so deemed) is has some disturbing parallels to the "atrocities" being committed in North Korea. So, when it is OUR government and OUR way of life that feels threatened to human rights and dignities go out the window?? Hmmmmm.. Let's see if this fires them up.

Three classes this week, 1 Tuesday and 2 on Weds. I'll let you know if I get egged.

The articles I am bringing in are:
Amnesty International's Response

and an article from the LA Times (that is suppose do be available on-line just for members but for some reason the link worked the first time I tired it :-)

Thx Nelly for the great leads!!

1 comment:

Chris TerryNelson said...

No prob! I'm on the case!

Honestly, I think about ethics, journalism and international relations so much that there's a good chance for a Ph.D. a la William Cavanaugh's "Torture and Eucharist," which is a book you should definitley read if you have the chance. Anything by him is amazing!