Tuesday, October 03, 2006

It's Got Me Thinking....

Nelly turned me on to this Balkinization blog
Which in turn set me onto this book:
The Conservative Soul: How We Lost It, How to Get It Back
and has me itching to read the article When Not Seeing is Believing based on a chapter of the book, in the current addition of Time

One quote from the blog, about the book, that has me thinking is:

Sullivan offers a compelling case for the proposition that the dichotomy between secularism and fundamentalism is radically false. And he bases this case in principles of conservatism – citing Montaigne, Burke and Oakeshott in the process. The claim to full and absolute knowledge implicit in all forms of fundamentalism rests on arrogant assumptions about the capacity of man to know and to understand God. In a sense it forgets the essential role of humility in religious experience.

In turn, this reminded me of Andrew Dole's talk at the DSC last year regarding faith being more consistent with hope than belief (sorry for the ridiculous condensation of Dr. Dole's great talk but that was the nutshell I stored in my mental index).

Ah, the air smells good when the brain is fired up....

No comments: